Electricity in the modern world plays a big role. Thanks to him, industrial production, medical devices, modern industry, streets are lit up, buildings are heated. Even small interruptions in electricity supply often lead to emergency situations. When electricity is often not available, the gas generator helps to save the situation. Such a backup power source is an indispensable thing for people living in country houses or on their summer cottages. You can purchase a ready-made unit or do it yourself.
1 The design of the gas generator
- 1.1 Benefits of a gas generator
- 1.2 Scope of application
- 2 How to assemble a gas generator with your own hands?
- 3 How to operate a gas generator?
- 4 Do-it-yourself gasoline generator repair
The design of the gas generator
The design of such a generator is quite simple and consists of three elements:
- gasoline internal combustion engine. A two-stroke engine is installed on a low-power unit, a four-stroke engine is installed on a more powerful generator;
- current generator;
- electrical modulation unit.
These elements are connected to each other and installed on a single support. In addition, the unit has additional accessories:
- fuel tank;
- manual starter;
- air filter.
In order for the generator to work very quietly, a silencer is put on the exhaust pipe. Its control panel contains a voltmeter, an ignition switch, a DC output, a circuit breaker, sockets, and grounding terminals, and a more advanced model has a generator reading. For the convenience of movement the unit is equipped with wheels and special stopsthat prevent free movement.
Benefits of a gas generator
Such a unit in many ways inferior to diesel generators, but still it is very much in demand for industrial, domestic and household needs. The gas generator has the following advantages:
- due to its compact size, the unit can be used in small rooms;
- low weight allows you to transport it to different places without using special equipment;
- thanks to a simple design, an autonomous power supply can be made by hand;
- the gas generator device is subject to repair if parts or parts suddenly fail;
- This unit has a good performance;
- petrol generators are much cheaper than gas piston and diesel generators.
Scope of application
Petrol generators are used in the following cases:
- during repair and construction works;
- as a source for emergency lighting systems;
- on summer cottages, when there is no electricity, for example, if you want to start the pump, you must work with a hammer drill, a grinder, etc .;
- as emergency power supply in hospitals;
- in production workshops and workshops;
- for uninterrupted power supply of computers;
- provides a much more comfortable outdoor recreation.
The stores offer a large assortment of a wide variety of gasoline generators, which differ in each from other power, size, energy reserves and resistance to the adverse effects of the environment. When choosing a unit, you should compare the characteristics declared by the manufacturer with the required power. power station, which is the total power of the main consumers of electricity multiplied by a factor of 1.5.
If it is not possible to buy such a unit, and a backup power source is required very urgently, you can try to make a petrol generator yourself.
How to assemble a gas generator with your own hands?
To assemble such a unit with your own hands you will need a gasoline engine, inverter and alternator. In addition, use engines from chainsaws, motorcycles, lawn mowers or cars. It is great if an automotive alternator is chosen because it already has a voltage regulator.
It is important to know that a powerful car generator, specially designed for powerful engines, with a weak engine of the future unit may not work. If it is not possible to use another option, it is necessary to reduce the return current by balancing the excitation coil.
Often acquire uninterruptible power supply, which is used for computers and other office equipment, as a voltage converter.
In addition to these basic elements, for the future generator do-it-yourselfers will need a mount, using an unwanted car tire, and a housing, which is often made of household appliances. As a fuel tank many use a plastic bottle volume of 5 liters. Also have to spend money on a silencer.
To assemble the generator with your own hands, all its elements are taken and fastened in separate parts of the tire. They must be fixed very firmly, because the generator during operation can vibrate strongly and, with an inconsistent attachment of its parts, usually flies away. To reduce loud noise, install a silencer that helps contain sound. You can try to make noise isolation with your own hands, but experts claim that it is not worth it.
The work is very much easier if you use the benzokosu, because the unit is assembled, taking as a basis the lid of the device. In addition apply plywood case with removable sidethat makes it convenient to repair and maintenance of the unit.
How to operate a gas generator?
In order for the self-made unit to work as long as possible and without fail, it is necessary to properly operate the device. To do this, follow the following rules:
- before turning on the gas generator, check it for tightness and the presence of mechanical damage;
- in order to avoid emergency situations all the details of the design must be very firmly fixed;
- keep the oil level in the unit under control;
- It is not recommended to use fuel of poor quality, because the engine is quite sensitive and bad gasoline can react quite negatively;
- clean the engine air filter regularly;
- the unit is recommended to load no more than 80% of capacity;
- connection to the power of the devices is carried out after 2−3 minutes after launch.
Do-it-yourself gasoline generator repair
This unit is a great option, necessary to maintain the performance of home appliances. However, it happens that it stops working. In this case, repair is necessary.
It often happens that when the engine is worn out, it cannot be started or it ceases to “pull”. This case requires the help of specialistswhich will carry out the repair of special tools.
If the generator has damaged the electric windings of the rotor and stator, then the repair consists in rewinding the windings. If voltage instability is observed, then it is necessary to check the condition of the contact rings of the brushes, the rotor and the voltage regulator.
Sometimes the filter needs repairs. To put it in order, it is necessary to clear its details. First, remove the elements - unscrew the clutch nut, remove the parts and cover. Foam and paper elements are removed from the filter housing. After that, clean the sponge in the soap solution, and then you should definitely dry it.
Then you need to clean the paper element. For this blow it with compressed air or you can just knock them on a hard surface. Using a brush to remove dust and dirt is strictly prohibited, because the paper filter may be clogged.
After the filter elements are cleaned, they are collected back. After assembly, the cover should fit snugly to the body.
The petrol generator is the ideal unit for back-up power supply with electricity from any room. The stores offer a large selection of various models, but their cost is quite high. Making such a unit with your own hands will significantly savebecause it is going to of various elements that it is a pity to throw out. Properly assembled gas generator can last long enough.