Dimmer is a very useful device, it can be used in all rooms. With this device the brightness of the light is adjusted. The second name of the dimmer is the dimmer switch.
With the help of dimmer regulate the voltage and light in rooms, rooms and parts of an apartment or house. In addition to saving on lighting, you can create interesting lighting designs using dimmers.
- 1 Variety of dimmers
- 2 Dimmer - connection diagram
3 Dimmer connection
- 3.1 How to properly connect high-quality dimmer
Variety of dimmers
Dimmers can be divided into:
- Modular. Install such dimmers, as a rule, in distribution boards. They are used to control the lighting in the stairwells and in the corridors. The control is a key switch or a special button. By pressing this button, a person turns the lamps on and off, and if the button is held for longer than five seconds, then it becomes possible to control the brightness level of the lamps.
- Dimmers that are installed in the wiring box. These regulators are used with halogen lamps and incandescent lamps, they are controlled by a special remote button.
- Monoblock dimmers. These dimmers are set to normal. podrozetnik and connect them like ordinary switches. It is recommended, however, to observe the polarity when connecting.
Monoblock control dimmers are divided into:
- Push and swivel. When there is a press on the handle of the lamp, and also the lamp turns on or off, and if you rotate the handle, it will adjust the lighting and the brightness of the lamps.
- Dimmers are rotary. The control of such regulators occurs due to the rotation of the knob, which regulates the brightness of the light.
- Keyboard dimmers. In appearance, these dimmers are similar to conventional switches. One key switches on and off the lamp, and the second adjusts the brightness level of these lamps.
- Dimmer sensory. One of the most advanced varieties of dimmers. Such dimmers do not have parts that move; this makes the device most reliable. One sensor is responsible for turning off and on the lamps, the others adjust the brightness. Despite the smooth switching, it is still stepped - this means that there are several brightness levels.
- Brightness controls with remote control. The option is comfortable and very convenient. With the help of the remote control, you can adjust the lighting without getting up. In such regulators, the possibility of manual brightness adjustment is often present.
In addition to the above gradations of dimmers, they are still subdivided into lamp typeswith whom they work:
- Dimmers for halogen 220V and incandescent bulbs. Almost all dimmers work with halogen and incandescent lamps. Provided that they work from 220V. Lamps have inertness, but there is no inductance and capacitance. It should be remembered that if the voltage decreases, then there is a change in the color temperature of the light. It will decrease, and the radiation will begin to acquire a red hue. Color can become unpleasant at low voltages on the lamp.
- Dimmers for halogen low voltage lamps. If halogen lamps 12–24V are regulated, in this case a step-down transformer is necessary. Marking for such a transformer RL. For an electronic transformer need dimmers labeled C. This marking indicates that it is possible to operate with a capacitive load. Dimmers should have the ability to smoothly turn on and off the lamps. The service life of such lamps is significantly reduced due to sudden voltage drops.
- Brightness controls for fluorescent lamps. The regulation of such lamps is the most problematic. This type of lamp can not be regulated by a standard starter. In this case, you need another trigger. Called such a device ECG, i.e. electronic control gear. With this equipment, the lamp is powered at a frequency of 20-50 kHz. By changing the frequency, you can change the current that flows through the lamp, thus changing the level of illumination.
- LED controls. To regulate the LEDs used pulse-width modulation. In other words, the current pulses are fed to the LED, while the amplitude is optimal, and the pulse duration is adjusted, thus changing the brightness. There is no flicker, because there is a high frequency of pulses, it can reach 300 kHz.
Dimmer - connection diagram
Seeing the dimmer, the question of how to connect it and what kind of circuit is needed, disappears. It does not differ from a simple switch in size. The dimmer is installed in the same way as the switch in the wiring box. Dimmer is mounted in the installation box with special legs. The regulator is connected, as well as the switch in the break of the lighting circuit. Connection polarity must be observed.
Can I install a dimmer instead of a switch? Yes. And it is easy. First, the switch is removed. To carry out this operation it is necessary disconnect the mains voltageand then make sure that it is missing using the indicator. Further, the frame from the switch is removed, and the screws of the assembly feet are unscrewed with a screwdriver. A switch is removed from the box and disconnected from the wires; to do this, loosen the screws on the terminals. After these manipulations, you can begin to install a dimmer. All operations that were listed above must be performed in the reverse order, you need to start with connecting the regulator to the wires.
Wiring diagram of the switch and dimmer are similar. Like the switch, the dimmer must be installed in series with the load.
For the bedroom, the most optimal and convenient scheme is to turn on the dimmer in series with a simple switch. It is recommended to install a dimmer next to the bed, to be able to control the light and not get out of bed. LED dimmers for LED lamps are becoming increasingly popular in systems "smart House». The ability to control the lighting allows you to create zoning of rooms, depending on the situation, if necessary, you can highlight and highlight the desired interior items.
How to properly connect high-quality dimmer
To be able to adjust the lighting from different points, you can use high-quality imported push-button dimmers, for example, French-made Legrand Valena controls. The peculiarity of this device is that there are additional control buttons in the kit, they can be installed in the desired room, however, there is a limitation fifty meters from the regulator to the remote button, which will be the farthest.
The dimmer connection scheme with remote control buttons is as follows. Phase wire coming up to the dimmer terminal number one and the first button terminals that are remote. From the second terminals of the buttons, which are remote wire should go to the terminal B of the regulator. The load must be connected to terminal number two of the dimmer and zero wire N.
Before installing the dimmer switch yourself, you must know a few rules, to have an idea how to connect a dimmer:
- Despite the fact that there are several options for connecting regulators, the dimmer connection scheme is simple - they are installed in series with the sources of electricity in the wire, which is a phase in the power grid.
- To control the lighting from several points in the room, it is recommended to use expensive and high-quality dimmer, which has additional remote buttons.