Perhaps every fan of electronics and radio at least once in his life dreamed of creating a laser with his own hands. A couple of decades ago, it could only be done in a secret laboratory. However, due to the progress and general availability of components, it is now possible to create a laser from a regular DVD-drive.
- 1 Briefly about the laser
- 2 Required Tools
- 3 DVD drive requirements
- 4 Parsing the drive
5 Power supply
- 5.1 First option
- 5.2 Second way
- 6 Optics
- 7 In conclusion
Briefly about the laser
A laser, or as it is called scientifically, an optical quantum generator is a special device that converts incoming energy into a narrow beam. In the modern world, such products are most often used in space and production. However, every lover of “stick around” in electronics can make it independently, i.e. at home with their own hands and without the use of special devices.
As mentioned above, the laser can be made from dvd-drive. However, one should not hope that it will similar to the Death Star weapon from Star Wars
- A small sheet of plastic.
- Polyethylene film.
- And other light and thin products.
If the thread is not needed, the laser from the DVD drive can:
- Burn patterns or patterns on wooden surfaces.
- Highlight various objects removed at a distance.
- Use as decoration at home.
- Make straight lines (t. because the beam is clearly visible), which will be especially useful during construction and repair.
In addition to the above options, the laser, made by hand from a DVD-drive, you can come up with a wide variety of tasks. Especially its potential is well revealed in the creative field.
To make a laser, certain components are required. All of them are sold in conventional electronics stores, so no extra effort will not have to be applied. So, for the manufacture will require:
- Drive (DVD-drive). You can use a faulty model, as long as the laser diode is working.
- Soldering iron. Virtually any suit, more power is not required.
- Several small wires are needed to connect parts with each other.
- Portable collimator (or a conventional laser pointer).
- 2 resistors with a resistance of 10 ohms.
- 3 AAA rechargeable batteries (mizinchikovye batteries).
- 2 capacitors, one - at 0.1 microfarad, the second - at 100 microfarad.
- Small screwdriver.
- A little knife.
- In some cases, an LM-317 chip may be required.
As you can see, make a laser from a dvd driveIt does not require any complex components.
DVD drive requirements
As mentioned above, it is very important that the laser diode in the device is in working condition. Therefore, it will not be superfluous to ascertain this. Otherwise, components will have to buy from people involved in the sale of spare parts.
You should also pay attention to the brand of the product. Samsung devices are not suitable for creating a laser. The reason lies in the absence of a special case, due to which the diode is particularly susceptible to mechanical damage, pollution and heat loads. It is quite possible to break it with a simple touch of the hand.
The best option - drives from the company LG. In addition to the protection of the optical diode, they are installed crystals of different power. This allows you to know how much power the laser itself will have.
In addition to the performance of the diodes and product brand, you also need to consider the type of DVD-drive. Normal drive designed specifically for reading information from the media. Therefore, for the manufacture of the laser will require a recording drive, which has an infrared emitter.
Summarizing, we can distinguish 3 basic requirements for the drive:
- The device can write information to disk (recording models).
- Laser diodes in working condition.
- Diode protection available (non-Samsung drive).
Parsing the drive
This process should be performed with extreme caution. With careless handling, you can not only damage the device, but also harm your eyes. The fact is that a laser can blind for some time and adversely affect visual acuity. Therefore, do all of the following items slowly:
- Open the drive tray (the place where the disc is inserted).
- Turn over the device and unscrew the 4 screws that are located in the corners.
- Remove the cover.
- Turn the DVD drive over again.
- Remove aluminum cover.
- Under it, unscrew the 2 screws.
- Disconnect the cables connecting the drive with the chassis (the one that moves the tray).
- At the chassis unscrew the only screw on one side and three - on the reverse.
- Carefully disassemble the product and get a board with optical lenses and diodes.
- Without making much effort to remove the protection (looks like a small corner that needs to be rotated).
- Diode detected.
- The "legs" of the diode (the place where it is attached) must be wrapped with wire - this is a kind of protection against static electricity.
- With the help of pliers to get a diode.
- Pry off the diode with a small knife and gently remove it from the mount.
Part of the work done. Now the self-made device is necessary to provide an electric current. The power supply of the standard diode should be 3V, and the flow rate up to 400 mA. These values may vary depending on the speed of writing to disk.
There are 2 types of food, each of which has advantages and disadvantages. However, each one is battery powered (s).
A distinctive feature of the first method is voltage regulation with the help of a resistor. The laser does not require much power. So, the drive components, whose recording speed is 16X, 200 mA will be enough. You can increase this value to a maximum of 300 mA, otherwise there is a chance to spoil the crystal and forget about the homemade laser.
The main advantages of this method are the reliability of the product and ease of manufacture. The main disadvantage is the possible problems with the placement of batteries.
Create a laser for this option will be more difficult. In addition, the finished device is more suitable for stationary placement. The point in the driver (chip LM-317), which is a fee for creating a certain power, as well as limiting electric current.
As you can see in the diagram, to create a laser you will need:
- Directly, the LM-317 chip.
- 2 resistors per 10 ohm.
- 1 variable resistor per 100 ohm.
- 1 diode.
- The capacitor is 100 microfarads.
Regardless of the environment, as well as the power source, the driver will support 7V power.
Homemade collimator is easiest to make from a conventional laser pointer. Even fit the cheapest Chinese version. All that is required is to get an optical lens from the lasers (it is very noticeable).
The width of the beam will be more than 5 mm. Of course, this figure is considered very large and can not claim to be a laser. Reduce the diameter to 1 mm will just help the stock collimator lens. True, to achieve such a result will have to work hard. The main thing - do not rush and not lose composure.
Making a laser with your own hands is a very exciting process. It does not require any special components or large financial costs. Accuracy and superficial knowledge about electrics is enough. With successful production, you can start using the device. The cutting laser easily breaks the balloons, burns the paper and leaves traces on the tree. However, when using do not forget about safety.