Unknowing people might think that even a non-specialist can connect lights. After all, in fact, here we have to deal only with a pair of wires coming out of the ceiling. But there are situations when the owner is faced with this difficulty, due to the presence of three wires in the chandelier instead of two. How to be in this case?
- 1 Necessary tool
- 2 Determining the purpose of the wires in the chandelier
3 Connecting a double-circuit chandelier to the mains with two and three wires
- 3.1 Connection with two wires
- 3.2 Connection with three wires
- 4 Ground wire connection
- 5 What if there is not enough wire length?
- 6 Safety
- 7 Chandelier with remote control - a luxury or convenience?
To connect the chandelier without errors, first you need to prepare certain tools:
- indicator screwdriver or voltage gauge;
- terminal block for three terminals;
- insulating tape.
In addition to the above items, you must have a stepladder or a stable stand, a marker, a sheet of paper and a passport for the lighting device.
Determining the purpose of the wires in the chandelier
To eliminate the risk of errors during connection, it is advisable to have an electrical circuit, which is usually present in the passport to the lighting device. It allows you to easily understand how to properly connect the chandelier, since each wire has a designation and there is an order in which they should be connected. If we proceed from current standards, they should have the following color coding:
- white or brown - phase;
- blue color - zero;
- yellow-green color - protective grounding.
It so happens that there is no passport to the chandelier and it is difficult to see from the color of the wire which of them corresponds to which. In this case, to understand how to connect the chandelier, it is possible in the presence of a multimeter - a special device that allows you to determine their purpose.
- We transfer the device to the dialing mode, after which we short the probes for the duration of the operation. In this moment there should be a special signal, which confirms the correctness of the choice of the measurement limit and the absence of problems in the work of the multimeter.
- The next step is to turn the light bulb out of the chandelier. When you reach the cartridge, you can see the main contacts, one of which will be located in the center (phase) and the other with the edge (zero), it provides contact with the base during screwing in the lamp.
- For work, we will use the zero wire. It is necessary to fix one probe of the device with the side contact of the cartridge, and the other consistently lead to stripped wiresthat stick out of the chandelier. When a sound signal appears after touching the next wire, this should be taken as a clue that we have found the neutral wire. In order not to confuse it in the future, we put a mark on it with a marker.
- Now you need to understand where the phase wire. Required the gauge of the device to bring to the middle contact of the cartridge, the other probe creates alternately contact with the other wires. Here we must also hear a beep. Here we apply the label in the same way.
- In the next step, we must find out how many circuits there are. First, we fix one probe of the device on the phase wire, and then the second is successively supplied to the average phase contact of each of the available cartridges. If the lighting device has only one circuit, then when touching each cartridge we will hear a signal. It happens that some cartridges do not have a connection to the contour. In this case, to find out whether there is another circuit, you can bring the probes to the middle contacts of the cartridges and the third wire. If there is a signal, it will become clear that this light fixture has two circuitsand the last wire detected is phase.
- If the test showed the presence of only one circuit, then we can conclude that the third wire serves as a ground. To verify this, you need to lead the probe to the metal elements of the body of the chandelier, and the second at the same time to touch the third wire. In response, we should hear a signal.
Connecting a double-circuit chandelier to the mains with two and three wires
If the task is to connect a chandelier with three wires, the first thing you need to get more information about the switch and wires sticking out of the ceiling. Most often you have to deal with a two-button switch and three wires. In this situation, understand where the phase, and where the zero wire.
- First you need to prepare an indicator screwdriver or a voltage indicator.
- Make sure each key is in the on position.
- Take the voltage gauge and touch it to the stripped end of each wire. If we find the phase, then a clue about this will be a burning light on the voltage indicator.
- After we have discovered the phase, put a mark on it with a marker.
- Turn off the two-button switch and touch each wire again. In none of the cases should we see a burning light bulb.
- It is time to connect the phase of the chandelier to the previously found wiring harness. We proceed in the same way with zero wires. To create a contact, we need a terminal block or the wires can be twisted with insulating caps or electrical tape.
- In conclusion, you should make sure that the chandelier is working properly - just turn on the keys one after the other.
Connection with two wires
For the chandelier, which is connected to the one-button switch, and only two cables protrude from the ceiling, the following steps should be performed. Making sure that the switch is on, you need to find out with the help of the voltage indicator, where the phase and zero cables are located. Finding a phase wire chandeliers and electrical wiring, they should be connected to each other. Likewise, they come with zero wires. Next, you need to find out how the chandelier works with different positions of the switch keys.
Connection with three wires
For the chandelier, which is also connected via a one-button switch and has three cables in the wiring, it is first necessary to understand for what purposes the third one is needed. Need to turn the switch to the on positionand then figure out which cables have the voltage. If the test results showed that the two wires are phase, then the correct solution would be installation of a two-key switch. In this case, the connection will be made on a three-wire circuit.
When only one cable shows the presence of a phase, while the third has yellow-green insulation, connection diagram will be similar in relation to the phase wires - they must be connected to each other. As for the cable, which is the ground connection, it should be removed after insulation.
Ground wire connection
On the grounding of the chandelier should think about if its design provides a metal housing. For new apartments, the mandatory requirement for electricity is ground cablehaving a yellow-green color. If you live in such an apartment, the procedure for connecting the chandelier will be as follows: we are looking for cables, which have the desired color, and then we connect them together using a terminal block or by twist.
But those who live in apartments with old networks, where there is no special color marking, will have to do otherwise:
At the very beginning, you need to study the cables that protrude from the ceiling and understand how many of them all are and what they are for. If according to the results of the survey it became clear that there are only two of them, then a double switch should be transferred to on position, and then take the voltage indicator and find out where the phase and zero wires After solving this problem you need turn off the double switchConnect the phase wires of the electrical wiring with the phase wires of the chandelier, do the same with the neutral wires and isolate the ground.
For a chandelier with three wires, the procedure will be similar. If it turned out that the network is represented by two circuits, and the lighting device works with the help of a two-keyboard switch, the phase and neutral wires of the lighting device must be connected to the corresponding wires electrical wiring. Finally, the isolation conductor is insulated.
What if there is not enough wire length?
Those owners who live in housesbuilt decades ago where there is a double switch should be prepared for that it may be necessary to extend the existing wiring or to extend the length of the wires coming from chandeliers. Although there are many connection options, it is best to use a terminal block for this purpose. In structural terms, this device has the form of a plastic pad, in which there are conductive plates. In turn, the data plates are equipped with screw clampsused for wire connections through the switch.
If you decide to use this option, you should ensure that the terminal block is accessed. Frequent problems are loss of contact or excessive heat, creating the risk of fire, which are the result of loosening screw connections. In the event that there is no place for the installation of such a block, the best solution is to place it, providing for the laying of one wire connecting the switch and the chandelier. But to connect them by twisting method must be abandoned, otherwise they will begin to oxidize, which ultimately will lead to their heating.
Keep in mind that any work with electrical wiring is a danger to life, and therefore they must be carried out very carefully. This also applies to the connection of household electrical appliances through a double switch. Before connecting the device and connecting the wires, you need to make sure that the switch is turned off and that the wiring does not have voltage. Where they were twisted, need to make insulationusing special caps or electrical tape. If you are unsure if you can connect the three-wire chandelier correctly, then, instead of risking in vain, it is better to invite experienced people to do this work. electricians.
Chandelier with remote control - a luxury or convenience?
As technology improves, new products become available on the market. These should be considered as lighting with a remote control. Their peculiarity lies in the presence of the control elements design. If you install a similar chandelier in the apartment, then you will have the opportunity to turn off the lights in the bedroom, while in a warm bed, and you will not cause accidental injuries, since in the dark on the way to the bed did not see the corner or wall.
Even a non-specialist can install such chandeliers: they are installed using the same technology as other light sources. Connect such a chandelier is easy, just use one of the above schemes. Turning on and off the light is possible thanks to the built-in controller.
And even despite the fact that such an advanced model of the chandelier has appeared in your home, it is still recommended to leave the usual wall switch in the room. He will be able to help you out in those situations when you lose the remote control from the chandelier or do not replace the batteries in time. After all, it would be extremely inconvenient for any owner not to be able to do ordinary things in the absence of light.
In general, the connection of the chandelier is not so difficult. If you have knowledge of the key nuances of this procedure, even a person who has not previously been engaged in such a procedure can easily cope with this task without asking for help from specialists. And later he will be able to correctly connect and lighting devices of more complex design.