LED strip - a very convenient source of lighting. Compared to classic incandescent bulbs, it has many advantages. Minimal heat dissipation, the ability to pave the route of any configuration, convenient organization of electronic control and most importantly - cost. Therefore, this topic is how to install the LED strip correctly, many Internet users are interested in decorating their own dwelling or raising the level of comfort in it.
- 1 How it works?
- 2 How is the installation?
3 Laying tape with sticking to the surface
- 3.1 Installation on furniture
- 3.2 Ceiling and wall mounting
- 3.3 Installation around the perimeter of the room
- 4 Laying LED strip inside special boxes
- 5 Conclusion
How it works?
The LED strip is a flexible substrate, on which a system of conductive pads is applied. Between them are equally spaced semiconductor light sources - LEDs. Today, products from different manufacturers are on the market, but they are all characterized by the following features:
- the strip is narrow enough and flexible to be placed with any level of curvature;
- The back side of the LED strip is covered with adhesive to fit comfortably on smooth surfaces;
- power supply tape standardized - 12 or 24 volts DC, which is necessarily indicated along the entire length of the product.
Manufacturers care about the convenience of users, offering all the necessary accessories in the form of controllers, converters tension, connecting clips for the formation of long or intermittent paths along which the tape is laid.
How is the installation?
To put it in general terms, installing an LED strip is quite simple. The process can be described in just a few points.
- A trajectory is being developed along which to install the band, and also assesses the place where the voltage converter or controller will be located.
- The tape is measured to assess the location.
- If it is necessary to increase the LED strip or, on the contrary, to interrupt to create a turn at an acute angle, the tape sections are connected using special clips.
- The final tape laying is being carried out. For this from the back the protective coating is gradually removed and the strip is applied with a sticky side to the surface on which it is mounted.
- Connection to the controller or voltage converter is in progress.
In short, this is exactly how people will act when they have to install LED lighting. There are several subtleties that need to be considered in order to achieve optimal results, for example:
- LED strips are either monochrome or multi-color. To connect the latest controller requiredpowering the LEDs of each color. Monochromatic cost only voltage converter;
- voltage control in the form of circuit breakers or circuit breakers can be located anywhere, and the power supply of the tape itself is best mounted directly near the beginning or end of its trajectories;
- for connecting one-color ribbons to each other, two-contact clips are used, for multi-color - four-contact clips;
- The tape can also be mounted using classical methods - using a soldering iron, tin and solder. This is available even to beginners. It must be remembered that the conductors are thin enough and as a result of overheating, they can lag behind the substrate, therefore phosphoric acid shows the best results as a solder.
There are several generally accepted methods for laying LED strip, which can show different results that are optimal for various tasks.
Laying tape with sticking to the surface
This way to install the LED strip as easy as possible. There is one limitation - twisting or fracture should be avoided in order not to damage the current carrying pads. However, in most cases they simply do not arise. It should be noted that the LED strip is immediately designed for this type of installation, so it is suitable in many cases.
Installation on furniture
Lower lighting cabinets, niche design, organization of the contours of functional areas for interesting aesthetic effects - this is just a short list of goals that are achieved when installing the LED backlight on pieces of furniture. The work of such lighting in the kitchen is invaluable. Excellent results are also shown when designing the interior of large wardrobes.
Works as simple as possible. LED strip is better to install long runs. For a neat appearance voltage converters and controllers are located inside the cabinets or other interior items. Modern electronic control systems can provide motion recognition, zonal automatic switching, even remote control.
Transmitters and controllers should provide acceptable conditions for heat removal. In order for the LED strip to hold firmly and work for a long time, thoroughly clean and degrease the surfaceon which it will be applied. This will provide the necessary firm adhesion.
Ceiling and wall mounting
The drywall, which is popular today, allows you to truly create unique artistic solutions in the form of multi-level ceilings or interesting niches in the walls. They will become even more attractive if you decorate them with LED strip. It will not only improve the aesthetics, but also work as an effective multipoint background lighting.
If you decide to install LED tape on drywall, you need to follow some simple requirements:
- the surface where the strip will be located is carefully puttied and leveled; also, one pass is made with a primer;
- voltage transducers and controllers should be positioned so that they are easily accessible for repair, conditions should also be provided for heat removal;
- To create interesting effects and to ensure that the LEDs do not "beat" right in the eyes, bumpers are used that scatter or redirect light flow;
- the frame of the plasterboard surfaces is conductive, also there is a danger of tape damage mounting screws. Therefore, the LED strip is laid after completion of work, with careful monitoring of the absence of short circuits.
The undoubted advantage of drywall constructions is that power can be brought out and voltage transducers for LED strips can be placed anywhere. As a result, it is easy to lay continuous tracks of great length without resorting to connecting pieces of a strip or interrupting its trajectory.
Installation around the perimeter of the room
The location of the LED strip on polyurethane ceiling plinths or on the bottom of the room is very popular. In this case, it is easy to arrange the transducers and controllers, and when mounted under the ceiling, the tape has almost no chance of being damaged.
The surface of the polyurethane ceiling elements, as well as plastic plinths on the floor is fairly smooth and durable. therefore it is enough to degreaseIn order to properly stick the LED tape.
Installation close to the floor has one drawback - the LED strip can be fairly easily damaged. But despite it's such way to designate zones in flat or home building, as well as creating a backlight ribbon, is quite popular.
Laying LED strip inside special boxes
The rather low strength of the LED strip has always been the biggest problem, which often limited its use. Therefore, today there are a number of profiles, the most popular of which is aluminum with an external light filter. Such designs allow to solve a number of problems at once:
- the tape is guaranteed protected from mechanical effects in the form of shocks, bends, stretching;
- the profile is tough and durable, if a light filter is used - it is additionally provided with protection against dust, and to some extent - the LED strip is protected against moisture;
- strip laying inside the profile is as comfortable as possible;
- on the led strip no different temperature changes or moisture drops, so it does not peel off or peel off.
Work with the profile are held in two stages. At first it is planned and laid the route of its placement. Elements of construction are fixed. Then, the LED tape is glued in very simply and comfortably.
Tough profiles show excellent results when mounting the backlight close to the floor, providing maximum protection against mechanical stress. Very good performance is achieved when installing on pieces of furniture - if desired, the profile can be milled and located flush with the surface.
Flexible profiles show their advantages when placing LED strip on the ceiling or wall niches of complex shape. However, today this segment of the market is gradually dying - the industry offers a turnkey solution in the form of an LED strip enclosed in a protective envelope.
As can be seen from the above, it is quite simple to install the LED strip. You just need to show a little care, correctly calculate everything and take into account several key requirements, most of which relate to the placement of additional equipment. As a result, after spending a little time, you can get economical and efficient light source, creating beauty or working for its intended purpose.