A device that allows you to get hydrogen from water is a hydrogen generator. Often they are used in cars. The use of such a device in the car is justified. Hydrogen released into the engine intake manifold. This saves fuel and sometimes increases its power. In the US, such generators are produced in factories. They are not cheap - from 300 to 800 dollars. In our country, it is preferable to make a generator yourself.
- 1 The principle of operation of the hydrogen generator
- 2 Which electrodes are better to use?
- 3 Description of the process of assembling a hydrogen generator
The principle of operation of the hydrogen generator
A water molecule is a compound made of hydrogen and oxygen. Atoms have the ability to create ions. If you have watched experiments that use a Tesla coil, you should know that atoms are ionized by an electric field. In this case, hydrogen will form positive, and oxygen negative ions. In hydrogen generators, the electric field is used to disconnect water molecules from each other.
So, having placed two electrodes in water, we need to create an electric field among them. For this they must be connected to the battery terminals or any other power source. The anode is positive and the cathode is negative. The ions that are formed in the water will be pulled to the electrode, whose polarity is opposite. When the ions come into contact with the electrodes, their charge is neutralized due to the addition or removal of electrons. When the gas that appears between the electrodes comes to the surface, it must be sent to the engine.
Hydrogen cells for cars include a vessel with water, which is located under the hood. Ordinary tap water is poured into the vessel and there add a teaspoon of catalyst and soda. Inside the plate is immersed, connected to the battery. When turned on in the auto ignition, the design (hydrogen generator) produces gas.
Which electrodes are better to use?
The first electrodes in the world were made of copper, but it turned out that they are far from ideal. In addition, copper gives a strong reaction upon contact with water. A large number of pollutants are being released, so using copper is not the best option. We recommend that you use electrodes that are made of stainless steel. To reduce the likelihood of corrosion need to choose high quality stainless steel. Sheet thickness should be about 2 mm to reduce resistance.
Description of the process of assembling a hydrogen generator
Having understood the intricacies of the action of the hydrogen generator, we turn to its creation. In order to assemble a hydrogen generator with our own hands, we will need:
- polyethylene canister;
- wires for connection;
- silicone rubber;
- special sealant;
- hoses with clamps.
Having picked up all necessary, we will start production of the generator with our own hands.
- Choosing a water tank that will suit us, we will install it inside the plate. Lead the electrodes to the plates through the tank lid. In the lid you need provide a hole to replenish the generator with waterwhich can be hermetically closed or need to make the cover removable. You also need to do your own hands in the upper section of the generator tube for movement into the intake manifold of hydrogen. Be sure to check that everything is completely sealed. If you use high-quality insulation between the plates, you can avoid energy losses.
- If you want to upgrade the resulting generator, then with your own hands attach another tank to it. You will need to connect both tanks with specially prepared tubes. The first one is fixed from the bottom of one tank to the bottom section of another - it will be used to supply water. The second tube connect the upper parts of the tanks and it is necessary for the removal of gas. Capacity number two will be used to store both water and gas. Capacity number one will directly convert water to gas. Also, the gas in the second tank will be cleaned of excess small particles. It is advisable to arrange the tanks in such a way that the length of the hoses between them is minimal.
- A special electronic generator unit can be assembled by hand, but only if you have knowledge of electronics. Consider that the control unit is needed in order to change in direct proportion to the operation of the engine, the strength of the current that flows to the plates. Need to experimentally set the current at idleas well as at maximum power. That is what will be the minimum and maximum generator power. Control signals enter the control unit from the vehicle sensors.
- After completion of the assembly, check all hoses for tightness. If you apply soap with a sponge on the joints, the leak will declare itself in the form of bubbles that have sulked. It is important! Since it affects not only the risk of fire, but also the reduction of fuel. In case of leaks in the hydrogen generator, the car will consume more fuel. It is also necessary to ensure that the connections between the electrical leads and the plates are not loosened. This may cause heating. To avoid damage when shaking, the case must be durable. Glue the plexiglass planes for strength.
- You must calculate all the dimensions of your hydrogen generator yourself, since they depend on the model of the car for which you are making the instrument. It may be advisable to install this device inside the car. This will allow it to be warm in the winter, which will allow the fluid to circulate freely. In summertime it will not get too hot, and this will help to avoid the loss of efficiency of your generator.
Making a hydrogen generator with your own hands turned out to be quite simple. Moreover, thanks to the “do-it-yourself work”, it was possible to save a lot. A generator made in this way will not cost more than $ 100. In modern conditions, you can find a lot of devices that use hydrogen. Since the hydrogen reserves in water are almost limitless, this allows you to see the prospect of mass use similar or upgraded installations in the future.