Electricity metering devices are devices that are located absolutely in all rooms where there is electricity. The owners of any building in which electricity is consumed, and there is no electric meter, violate the law and will be brought to administrative responsibility, and in large amounts. Plus, housebuilding, where the abuser lives, will be de-energized until a fine is paid. Therefore, you need to know how to properly connect the meter with your own hands according to the generally accepted scheme.
- 1 Classification of counters
- 2 Rules for installing an electric meter with your own hands
- 3 Installing a single-phase meter according to the scheme
- 4 How to connect a three-phase electric meter?
Classification of counters
To date, all existing models of electricity meters are divided on the principle of design and operation:
- The most common are the mechanical electric meters, which have been used in everyday life for many years. The principle of operation of such a device is based on the passage through the device of a current driving round metal plates. During the rotation of the plates, the consumption of electricity is recorded in accordance with the number of revolutions. The cost of such devices is low, but the accuracy leaves much to be desired.
- Electronic metering device appeared not so long ago. There are no mobile elements in it, and the accounting of electricity occurs through the use of microcircuits or semiconductor devices. The cost of electronic meters is much higher than mechanical analogs, but the accuracy of such devices is much higher.
Also electricity metering devices differ in the number of phases. This parameter is important to consider when choosing a suitable device. To date, there are single-phase and three-phase electric meters. However, some models of three-phase devices can be connected to a single-phase network, but not vice versa.
Rules for installing an electric meter with your own hands
The installation of a metering device for consumed electrical energy is a process that requires precise and unquestioning following certain rules:
- the room in which the meter will be installed should be dry so that the installation and further use of the device is safe;
- temperature indicators in the room should be above 0 ° C;
- the installation of the equipment may take place on a wall, a distribution cabinet, a special panel, or other designated place;
- the meter can be mounted on a metal or plastic shield;
- the meter should be located at a height of 75 to 160 cm from the floor surface, but it is better that it is at the level of human eyes;
- the installed electric meter should not have a slope of more than 1 degree, which is caused by an increase in the error of indication when the instrument is incorrectly placed;
- the size of the box in which the device is placed should not be too small to provide convenient access to the meter;
- When connecting wires, it is important to pay attention to their labeling, which differs by color.
Also need to worry about mounting the circuit breaker. Such circuit breakers will be needed in case of repairs or replacement of the device. But at the same time it is important to call the controller, from the appropriate service, who will perform the sealing of the machines. Otherwise, the owner of the house building can be accused of stealing electricity.
Installing a single-phase meter according to the scheme
The peculiarity of a single-phase electric meter is that all consumers of electricity in a house, apartment or office are connected using one phase wire. A single-phase appliance has four terminal contacts through which the common power grid is fed into the house. Wherein the assembly process takes place in the following sequence.
- The fixture on which the electric meter will be mounted is installed.
- The working and neutral wire of the house network is determined. For this indicator-screwdriver is used. In this case, the voltage is not necessary to disconnect. If the indicator lights up when touching the bare ends of the wires of the common power grid, then this wire is working (phase). Accordingly, the remaining conductor is zero. For convenience, the wires should be noted.
- Determining the phase conductor in the switchboard is even easier - it is usually red in color. But for confidence it is better to use the indicator.
- The electricity metering device is mounted in a designated place in the apartment or switchboard.
- House building is de-energized and installation of the device begins according to the scheme corresponding to the single-phase meter.
- At the bottom of the meter on its case there are four terminal contacts. The two left pins are for phase conductors. Accordingly, the contacts on the right are needed for the supply and removal of zero cores of the common network and to the apartment.
- The bare ends of the common and flat phase conductors are inserted into the terminal blocks.
- Screws are used to fasten the conductors in the terminals.
- The next step is to connect the neutral wires. By analogy with the phases, they are inserted into the corresponding terminals and clamped with screws.
- Electricity is being supplied and the meter is working.
At the end of the installation you need call the controller from the power supply, which should draw up an act of acceptance of work performed. After that, the official representative of the electricity supplier performs the instrument sealing.
How to connect a three-phase electric meter?
In principle, the connection diagram of a three-phase electric meter is similar to a single-phase analogue. The only thing to be done is to ensure that the current load is no more than 100 amperes. Otherwise, you must additionally connect the transformer. Another distinctive feature of this unit is availability of 8 terminal contactsand not 4, as in a single-phase device.
- A special automatic circuit breaker that controls the phase conductors is installed on the three-phase electric energy control device.
- A pair of terminals located on the right side, are intended to connect the neutral wires. In one contact a common house zero is clamped, and on the other there is a wire inside the apartment. Zero core is common to all consumers in the apartment.
- All other terminal contacts are designed for the supply and removal of phase conductors. An input automat should always be mounted between the general house network and intraroom wiring.
As you can see, connecting an electric meter with your own hands does not cause any particular difficulties. Important choose the right devicecorresponding to the parameters of the electrical network to which it will be connected, and study the schemes of the electric meter depending on its type - single-phase or three-phase.