When operating the extension cord, this device will break down. Repair is easy to do by hand. Before you repair the extension cable, it is necessary to disconnect it from the network.
- 1 Causes of an Extension Extension and How to Detect Them
2 How to fix the device with your own hands
- 2.1 Disassembly of the extension cord: instruction
- 2.2 Repair or replacement of parts
- 2.3 Assembly of the extension after repair
Causes of an Extension Extension and How to Detect Them
Such specimens have fragile wires that are easily susceptible to mechanical stress.
Conventionally, the extension cord consists of three parts - the housing with sockets, electrical cord and plug. There are two types of devices on sale:
- With the simplest design. Such extension cables supply current to electrical devices with the help of two wires - zero and phase; they do not have a switch button.
- Models with additional parts that have a power button, the cable can be two- or three-core (zero, phase and ground).
Inside the main unit are two current-carrying tires (plates of yellow metal, which are inserted into the slots of the housing). Their rounded sections are combined with socket plugs.
In the three-phase extension cord there is an additional grounding bus.
The reasons for the breakdown of the device may be different. Most often, they are associated with mechanical stress and violation of the rules of operation.
In other words, over time, the breaking and breaking of the wire occurs. Mechanical damage occurs when the cord is pushed, bent at an acute angle, jerked sharply. This also applies to the deformation of the tire with repeated inclusion and removal of the plug-consumer device from the outlet.
With the simultaneous inclusion of several appliances in the extension cord, the total power of which exceeds the permissible, there is a burnout of the wires. Strong heat leads to the melting of heat-resistant plastic, and then to a short circuit.
Models with a simple device can be easily disassembled with a conventional screwdriver
If the extension cable has stopped working, it is necessary to determine the cause and location of the breakdown. This requires carefully examine the condition of the box, wire and plug:
- The cable rush is found by checking the power. The plug is inserted into the outlet and connect a low-power appliance (for example, a desk lamp). The wire is bent in each interval of 4–6 cm. In the place where the lamp will work again, there is a cable break point.
- Contact breakdown in the box is detected after the cover is removed from the burnt and blackened contacts, oxidized areas of the plates, and wires.
- Breakage inside the plug can be seen by disassembling it. Unfortunately, not all models can be disassembled.
How to fix the device with your own hands
During the repair of the extension cord, you must disconnect it from the network.
For repair you need:
- side cutters;
- construction knife;
- screwdrivers (cross and normal);
- insulating tape;
- fine-grained sandpaper.
All parts are subject to repair: electric cable, collapsible plug and housing.
Disassembly of the extension cord: instruction
Disassembly includes the following steps:
- From the box, unscrew the bolts located in the lower part of the body and in the jacks for the plug.
- Parts are carefully separated from each other in order not to damage the wires and clips.
- To disassemble the plug, simply unscrew one screw. Disposable element simply cut and discarded, replacing it with a new one.
The thick plastic molded case is difficult to cut. But the main thing is that it cannot be safely fastened after repair.
Repair or replacement of parts
The most effective way to repair the wire: stripping the wires and rewinding the wire with tape
Repair of individual elements of the extension is carried out as follows:
- Repair of electrical cord. Place the gust mark with a marker, measure about 8-10 cm in each direction. The cable is cut, clean the wires from insulation by 2.5–3 cm. Copper wiring is cleaned with sandpaper and tightly twisted. For greater reliability, the place of coagulation can be soldered. All twist tightly wrapped with tape. Then she zamatyvayut the whole area rush.
- Repair contacts in the box. The disconnected wires are returned to the place, the burnt ones are replaced with new ones (the ends of the cables are free from insulation, stripped and fixed on the screws in the clamps). Tires removed from the grooves. Then they are brushed to shine with sandpaper. If necessary, push up to each other with pliers. Strongly burnt tires should be replaced with new ones.
- Repair of the button is in its disassembly and soldering contacts. The store can also buy a new switch to replace the failed.
- Repair plugs: cut off the end of the wire, clean it and connect it (pin and screw) with the pins.
Assembly of the extension after repair
Extender is assembled in the reverse order of disassembly:
- The power cord is laid in the groove, fasten it with a clip.
- Connect both halves of the body.
- Screw in the connecting screws.
- Pins with wires are placed in the slots of the housing.
- Connect the two halves of the case and fasten them with a screw.
Repair extension does not take much time. The device can be repaired in 15–20 minutes without resorting to the services of an electrician. However, a successful outcome also depends on the model. Therefore, when buying an extension cord, it is better not to try to save a lot, but to take a more reliable copy, which also can be repaired.