Fluorescent lamps at the present time are the most popular among all devices for artificial lighting of premises. Such devices are more than five times more advantageous in terms of operating incandescent lamps and have more attractive price in comparison with superefficient LED lamps which not everyone can get consumer.
Today we will tell how to connect a fluorescent lamp to the mains, and what are the schemes of their connection.
- 1 Fluorescent lamps: description, principle of inclusion and operation
2 Luminescent lamp switching circuit
- 2.1 Connection diagram of the fluorescent lamp by means of electromagnetic ballast (EMPRA)
- 2.2 Wiring a fluorescent lamp with electronic ballast (ECG)?
Fluorescent lamps: description, principle of inclusion and operation
Fluorescent lamps are widely used to illuminate objects such as:
- the shops;
- other public buildings.
Not so long ago, compact models of fluorescent lamps came onto the market, which fit standard E14 and E27 cartridges for home lighting products. After that, they were often used for use in apartments and
Fluorescent design is a sealed flaskwhere the gas mixture is chosen in such a way that a lot of energy is not needed to ionize it. In order for the device to work permanently, a glow discharge should be maintained, respectively, a voltage suitable for it should be applied to the electrodes of the fluorescent lamp. However, in order for the discharge to go to the electrodes, there must be a voltage much higher than a normal worker. And to facilitate the inclusion, you need to heat the gas in the flask.
On both sides of the bulb are electrodes, to which voltage is applied to maintain the discharge. Each electrode has two contacts, and you need to connect a current source to them to warm up the space near the electrodes and make the device work.
When discharging a bright ultraviolet glow appears in the flask, which is extremely difficult for a person to perceive in its pure form. That is why inside the flask is covered with a layer of phosphor - a special substance that generates light during irradiation and shifts the frequency range of illumination of the structure into the spectrum of visibility. You can change the composition of the internal equipment, then it turns out a large variety of colors.
Luminescent lamp switching circuit
The most common schemes include fluorescent structures:
- wiring diagram using electromagnetic ballast;
- circuit for switching on fluorescent lighting devices using electronic ballast.
Now let's look at both schemes in more detail.
Connection diagram of the fluorescent lamp by means of electromagnetic ballast (EMPRA)
The reduction of EMPRA means an electronic ballast, which is also known as ballast, or else it is called a choke.
Power EMPRA must correspond to the total power of the lamps that are connected to it. This starter the scheme is quite old and is actively used far from the first decade. The starter in this scheme is called a small lamp, equipped with neon filling, it also includes two bimetallic electrodes.
The principle of inclusion of the luminescent design according to this scheme is as follows:
- during power-up, a discharge occurs in the starter;
- bimetallic electrodes are shorted;
- the current in the starter circuit and the electrodes is reduced only to the internal resistance of the choke, which increases operating current almost tripled and heats the lamp electrodes literally in an instant;
- at the same time, the bimetallic contacts cool down and the circuit opens;
- at the moment of breaking the circuit, the choke creates a triggering pulse of up to 1 kW, which is due to its self-induction;
- Discharge occurs in the gas environment of the device and it turns on.
Remember that the 127 volt starters will not be able to work in a single-lamp system and will require a 220 volt starter.
EMPRA used in this scheme has its advantages:
- design convenience;
- relative reliability;
- affordable price.
However, this ballast has its drawbacks, including the following:
- electricity consumption is higher by more than 15 percent compared to the wiring diagram based on electronic ballast;
- start-up time depends on the wear of the structure and varies up to 3 seconds;
- over time, the sound of the throttling of the throttle plates increases;
- often strobe effect occurs flicker of the fluorescent lamp, which can adversely affect a person's vision;
- system fails at low temperatures. So, nothing will work in severe cold in unheated rooms when turned on by this scheme.
Wiring a fluorescent lamp with electronic ballast (ECG)?
ECG stands for electronic control gear (also known as ballast). Unlike electromagnetic ballast it energizes the lamp is not mainsfrequencies, and high-frequency (25-133 kHz). This scheme eliminates the appearance of blinking, which so often irritates us and negatively affects the vision. In this unit used auto-oscillator circuit, which includes a transformer and an output stage with transistors.
Wiring fluorescent lamps With the help of electronic ballast there are different, most often they are applied on the construction block and it is easy to connect them in one way or another.
Circuits using electronic ballast also have their advantages and disadvantages.
Their advantages are:
- special mode of operation and launch ECGallows you to increase the life fluorescent lamp;
- up to 20 percent energy savings compared to electromagnetic ballast;
- no noise and flicker when the lamp is operating;
- the absence of a frequently broken starter;
- the presence of models where there is a possibility of dimming (adjusting the brightness of the light).
The disadvantages of this ballast is not so much and they are not too significant:
- complicated wiring diagram;
- high demands on the quality of components and their installation.
Fluorescent lighting designs are used to buying by people who want to optimize their electricity consumption. at home and at work, and also want to reduce spending on the purchase of new lighting devices that come with time to worthlessness Thanks to ballasts, fluorescent designs work correctly. Naturally, there are more advantages to the schemes for switching on fluorescent lamps with the help of modern electronic ballast of electronic ballasts.