Fluorescent lamps are the second most popular after incandescent bulbs. However, they have a number of significant advantages and disadvantages. Before considering the technical characteristics of a 36 W fluorescent lamp, it is necessary to make out what kind of lighting fixtures it is. It turns out that quite a large number of people are completely unaware of what these lamps are. But they do not belong to the novelties. Therefore, it is worth starting with the definition.
- 1 What are fluorescent lamps?
- 2 Principle of operation
- 3 Benefits
- 4 disadvantages
- 5 Specifications
What are fluorescent lamps?
In most of the houses are installed incandescent bulbs. By themselves, they are very cheap, but have a number of significant drawbacks. First of all - it is energy consumption. The efficiency of incandescent bulbs is about 15%that is a very low rate. Yes, they cope with their task, but it is important to take into account the fact that heating of this type of lamps takes about 85% of the electricity. That is, you pay directly for the lighting only fifteen percent of the total amount, and the remaining 85% of the costs go to "heating the room and wires."
Efficiency is one of the important advantages of fluorescent lamps in comparison with the traditional type. But it is important to remember that they also have certain disadvantages, which we will talk about a little later. Now let's talk about principle of operation this type of lighting fixtures.
Principle of operation
These lamps use mercury, when heated in vapors of this metal an electrical discharge is created, which contributes ultraviolet radiation formation. Further, a special substance, which is called a phosphor, absorbs this radiation, as a result, light is emitted in the spectrum, which is familiar to the human eye. So should be the ideal.
In fact, the shade of lighting is constantly criticized by the users of these lamps just for the unnatural color. You can philosophize a little about the physical laws, remember that from this point of view, colors without light are not at all exists, and therefore from the point of view of this science, fluorescent lamps really paint everything in natural colors. Basically, all this is nagging. The shades of the illuminated objects do not change so much that they seriously take this moment as an inconvenience. (except for certain specific areas of activity), and the savings in comparison with the traditional ones are very noticeable.
This type of lighting has a fairly large number of advantages. They should be considered together with shortcomings before proceeding directly to the description of the technical characteristics of 36-watt fluorescent lamps.
- Saving. Since the efficiency of these lamps is significantly higher than that of ordinary incandescent bulbs, the mercury type lighting technology with a power of 20 W approximately gives as much light as a light bulb that has power of 100 watts. It turns out that the savings with the help of this type of illuminators are not just substantial, but enormous - as much as 5 times. In terms of savings, these indicators can exceed only the LED light, but it also has its own characteristics.
- Shades of color are very diverse.That makes fluorescent illuminators a great opportunity to decorate a room. The same applies to the level of illumination, which is much easier to change with this type of illuminators than with incandescent bulbs.
- Large coverage area using fluorescent devices. This is a very important indicator, with which you can also save. After all, you do not need to buy a large number of light bulbs to illuminate vast areas. Fluorescent illuminators do an excellent job with this task. Not for nothing, they are actively used in public buildings.
The benefits are really significant. But some believe that the shortcomings are enough to stigmatize all manufacturers of fluorescent technology. Well, let's understand.
The most important problem of such devices is that mercury is present in their construction, which is a very toxic material. First of all it concerns those people who want to install such illuminators at home. Think well when choosing.
Even various international commissions urge to reduce the production of this type of lighting equipment because of the danger to health.
What else there are disadvantages?
- Ecological. The cause is also mercury. If the device, which is a representative of the fluorescent line of illuminators, breaks somewhere on the street, it can end in tragedy. Why? Because toxins, these devices can poison not only the premises, but also the air at a sufficiently long distance. And taking into account the production and utilization, it turns out a good harm to the environment.
- Flicker. This disadvantage is relevant for a large number of people. Even in a healthy person, under the influence of these illuminators, vision problems can begin and headaches begin to hurt. Especially often flicker occurs when some kind of malfunction occurs. And in people with epilepsy, fluorescent illuminators can even provoke an attack.
These are the main disadvantages. Naturally, you can bring more. But in some institutions, fluorescent lamps are a really good option, which will help to save not only due to lower expenses of electricity, but also due to the long service life this type. And now you should directly understand the technical characteristics of 36W fluorescent lamps.
36 watt fluorescent lamps have the following technical specifications:
- the base has type G13;
- the bulb has a diameter of 26 millimeters;
- the length of most of the lamps of this type is about 12 centimeters;
- voltage in the lamp is 103 V;
- service life is 12 thousand hours.
This is averaged data. It also matters the specific manufacturer of the lamp and its operating conditions. Thus, the service life also depends on how often it is included. If this is done five times a day, then it may be enough for about two years. And if you make the inclusion 1-2 times a day, then the lamp will last a really long time.