Expresklemmniki from the world leader WAGO (VAGO) have long been known as a reliable device for quick installation of electrical wiring based on single-core or stranded copper cables, aluminum wires or variants of their combined connection without the use of tools and additional materials.
The German company WAGO Kontakttechnik GmbH is the largest manufacturer of plug-in terminals and screwless spring-type terminal connectors for high-quality connection of various types of conductors. It is impossible to imagine that electrical engineering did without them only recently, just a few years ago. And after all, WAGO owns the idea of connecting by force of a spring, and not by a screw.
- 1 Advantages and disadvantages of spring technology
- 2 WAGO terminal strip technical parameters
- 3 WAGO terminal strip classification
- 4 How to use the terminals?
Advantages and disadvantages of spring technology
The WAGO terminal is a flat-spring clamp with many advantages:
- separate terminal for each wire;
- safety of operation, because it is impossible to accidentally touch the current-carrying parts;
- accurate and fast installation, independent of the applied force of the installer and his qualifications;
- no damage and deformation of the connected wires, since spring terminal adapts to the wire cross section and clamping force is optimal;
- reliability, high vibration resistance and impact resistance;
- gas tightness of the connection at the point of contact, eliminating the possibility of oxidation of bare wires;
- compact size;
- lack of maintenance of terminal blocks during operation.
The drawback can be called only one, and even then, it is rather not inherent in the terminals, but, like any plug-in connection, they must be installed so that access to them is maintained.
WAGO terminal strip technical parameters
For the manufacture of terminals used electrolytic copper special tinning, nickel-chromium spring steel, polyamide and polycarbonate as dielectrics as carriers for conductive elements.
Terminal blocks are used not only in everyday life, but also in industry, therefore the range of values of each parameter is quite wide:
- a current of 6–232 A;
- voltage 100–1000 V;
- wire cross-section 0.08–95 mm².
WAGO terminal strip classification
Depending on the type of spring used, the following types of terminals are distinguished.
1. Terminals with flat-spring clamp, which are used for fast wiring without the possibility of reuse. Craftsmen claim that although such terminals designed for one-time connection of single-core rigid wires 0.5–4 mm², they can be used as reusable - the quality of the clip gets worse, but not by much. Connect them and pre-pressed into the lugs flexible stranded wires. The most common model is WAGO 773 and it comes in two versions:
- without paste for connecting copper wires with a cross section of 1-2.5 mm² in junction boxes for 2, 4, 6 and 8 wires, are produced in a transparent case with colored inserts. Each color corresponds to a certain number of connections at a current of 25 A. There is a model WAGO 773–173, designed for a current of 41 A, three connections of copper wires with a diameter of 1.5 to 6 mm²;
- for connecting aluminum wires or in a mixed version of aluminum with copper, terminals with contact paste are used, they are available in black or gray. If you have to connect aluminum and copper wires, the paste is removed from the socket intended for copper. Terminal models WAGO 773–302 (304, 306, 308) with contact paste are designed for 2, 4, 6 or 8 connections for wire connections with a section from 0,75 to 2,5 mm ² at a current of 25 A. Model WAGO 773-503 - for three wire connections 1.5–4 mm² at a current of 32 A.
Terminal blocks of this series used to minimize voltage drops in wires of great length, power wiring, multiplication of the potential of a wire with a cross section of 6 mm² in a junction box, connecting in parallel with the outlet.
2. CAGE CLAMP® clamp terminals are used both in junction boxes and for connecting lighting fixtures. At the same time tips on a multicore wire are not necessary.
Copper wire can be connected and stranded, and single-core section from 0.08 to 35 mm² and in any combination. The advantages of WAGO terminals with a CAGE CLAMP® clamp are simplicity and reliability of installationdespite their relatively high cost (about twice as expensive as the WAGO 773), they make them very popular today. They can be used:
- when connecting inductive motion sensors, electric motors, lamps, special lamps, electric machines, potentials, water pumps, electricity meters;
- in systems "warm floor", Heating devices, thermal blowers;
- in intercoms, blinds, loudspeakers, door control, light garlands;
- with temporary connections.
WAGO 222 terminal blocks are produced only without paste and are used with the combined connection of solid and stranded wires with a cross section from 0.08 to 4 mm² at currents up to 35 A and voltages up to 380 V. For connecting aluminum wires need to buy pasta separately and bring it into the conductive socket. Universal terminals WAGO 222-412 (413, 415) are available with 2.3 and 5 wires and can be used several times.
The WAGO 224 terminals serve to quickly connect lighting equipment without the use of tools and reliably protect the exposed conductors from the ceiling and wall from exposed terminals. They connect two or three single or stranded copper and aluminum wires with a cross section of 0.5 to 2.5 mm². From the ceiling aluminum wire nests filled with contact pasteand on the luminaire side, the CAGE CLAMP® clamp allows you to connect a copper wire, single core or stranded, tinned or molded.
3. FIT-CLAMP terminal clamps, which use a mortise contact, allow wiring to be installed without first stripping the wires from insulation, as in other connections. That is, one of the new developments of the company WAGO simplifies and, therefore, speeds up installation even more.
WAGO product catalog is great, it includes more than ten thousand items. For all terminals, WAGO produces tools, mounting and marking accessories, cable markings and individual cores. Everything terminal terminals VAGO certified in major international certification centers. VAGO products also have permits for use in certain industries, for example, GAN of Russia has given permission to use terminals at nuclear facilities. And WAGO terminals with special certificates are widely used in railway transport.
For a typical consumer, only a few items from the WAGO terminal strip catalog are useful - models of the 222, 224 and 773 series.
Terminal strips of the 243 and 862 series are used less frequently. WAGO 243 - for connecting single-core copper wires of small cross-section up to 0.8 mm² for 4 and 8 connections for use in 6A low-current networks, for example, in video surveillance or telephony systems. Special grooves in the case of the “dovetail” type are designed to make it convenient to assemble these terminals into blocks. For ease of installation on a DIN rail to them Special brackets and pins are available. for installation on a circuit board.
WAGO 862 - for connection in one terminal up to four solid and stranded with crimped tip or with ultrasonic sealing of wires with an area cross sections from 0.5 to 4 mm² for 2, 3, 4 and 5 connections with an additional grounding terminal at a current of 25 A (for a section of 4 mm² rated current - 32 A) and voltage 500V. Terminals equipped with push feetthat simplify installation manually or with a screwdriver. The housing has a special hole for checking the electrical circuit, into which the test plug with a diameter of 2 mm is inserted.
How to use the terminals?
The main thing to remember is that one terminal is one electrical contact. By analogy with the connection using the good old tape - one twist or one junction.
- WAGO 773 - The wire is stripped 12 mm from the edge and inserted all the way into the terminal block socket. If you need to remove the wire, then it just gently and without applying great effort, pull out, slightly rolling the terminal block;
- WAGO 222 - stripped ten mm wire is inserted into the socket when the bright orange lever is open and the lever closes. The reverse operation is also easy.
WAGO terminals are convenient and easy to use, wiring can be done quickly and reliably, even without experience. Although still it is better to entrust the work with electrical wiring specialistBecause the correct connection of wires is a guarantee of safety first.