Do you need to install an exhaust fan for the toilet and bathroom? To answer this question, it is necessary to check the quality of work of the ventilation that is already in place at the equipment stage of the exhaust system. If the hole on top of the wall, made even during construction, covered with a grill, is working properly, then there is no need to install forced ventilation.
Ventilation works properly when there is no stagnation during the wash, and when using cleaning agents and powders, the smell evaporates quickly. To check the ventilation already installed, it is only necessary to bring a sheet of paper to the grille. With a normally working ventilation system in the house, he will be held by the air flow. If this does not happen - it's time to think about how to choose a hood for the toilet or bathroom. The owners of apartments in high-rise buildings rarely think about the arrangement of ventilation, in contrast to the owners of private houses, where the ventilation must be done with their own hands.
Before you install an exhaust fan, you must choose the most suitable, optimal model that is best suited for your home. Now on the market there is a large range of ventilation systems.
1 Varieties of exhaust fans
- 1.1 Axial fans
- 1.2 Radial fans
- 1.3 Duct fans
- 1.4 Roof fan
2 Technical parameters of exhaust fans
- 2.1 Mounting components
- 2.2 Installation of exhaust fan
- 3 Summarizing
Varieties of exhaust fans
Before you go shopping, you need to know what are the exhaust appliances for the toilet and bathroom:
This design consists of a body. in the shape of a cylinderwhere the wheel is located on the axis of the electric motor. On the sides of the wheels are cantilever blades, which during rotation capture air. Air masses circulate in the radial direction. To increase the aerodynamics of the exhaust system, a manifold is placed at the entrance to the hood. It is the axial devices for the extraction of the most productive. The best place to place them is a wall in the bathroom.
Axial devices are very popular because of the ease of installation, because they are mounted directly into the ventilation box.
Has a design from a shovel wheel, located in a spiral casing. During rotation, the air enters between the blades, moving to the wheel in which it is compressed and ejected by the centrifugal force into the casing, then enters the discharge hole. For the bathroom, quiet models are best. At the same time, radial fans are quite economical, they can easily transfer air load.
Radial fans with forward curved blades take up very little space and work with little noise.
Also called centrifugal. Channel fans appeared relatively recently. Channel systems are placed in those rooms where area of more than 20 square meters.
Channel systems are quite powerful, and at the same time have a low noise level. They are installed in the flow part of the ventilation system and can be both round and rectangular in shape. It is customary to install the duct fan directly under the ceiling and close the gypsum board.
Ducts of these fans can be:
It is advisable to make your choice in favor of the last two types of ducts, because they are more reliable and have a longer service life.
As is clear from the name itself, it is mounted on the roofs of private houses. In the design of the roof device is directly a fan, an electric motor, an auto-adjusting device, anti-vibration pads.
This system uses a fan:
Technical parameters of exhaust fans
During the selection of an exhaust fan for the toilet and bathroom, one should also pay attention to a number of technical parameters and characteristics:
- Performance. To determine the performance of the ventilation system, it is necessary to take into account two characteristics - the number of air changes per hour and the area (volume) of the room. Multiply the height and width of the room and multiply the result by the number of air changes per hour. So, you determine the figure for the performance of the ventilation system. After making the calculation, you can easily pick up the exhaust fan, which is best suited for your bathroom. It is necessary to choose a device that has a slightly higher performance than in your calculations.
- Noise level. The operation of each device is accompanied by mechanical or aerodynamic noise. Aerodynamic noise is generated during the operation of all exhaust elements. Mechanical noise enters the room and spreads in the duct. It should be borne in mind that noise that exceeds 40 dB is an irritating effect on the psyche. Therefore, before purchasing it is necessary to look at the equipment passport, where the noise level is mandatory. The main part of the products is made with a silencer.
- Security. Fans for exhaust air powered by electricity. The bathroom is constantly high humidity, because there is absolutely forbidden to mount devices that are intended for other purposes. Bathroom fans should always be labeled accordingly.
- Functionality. Fans for exhaust can be automatic and standard. The standard axial ones start to work when the lighting in the room is turned on, in other words, the lighting is turned on - the hood is turned on. It is quite convenient, but not practical all the time. Automatic fans are equipped with an on / off timer. Automatic devices for a hood will cost a little more.
- Cost of. Not always, the expensive price guarantees long-term and high-quality operation of the ventilation system. Choose devices from famous brands. Be sure to check product certification.
The exhaust fan consists of plastic and metal air ducts having either a rectangular cross-section or a rounded one. The most suitable, the most optimal installation option - behind the hinged ceiling. For small bathrooms in typical city apartments conventional fans are installedmounted in the vent hole ventilation. But today, with advanced construction technologies, most people choose more complex structures.
To understand the meaning of installing the ventilation system, you need to deal with the main elements of the installation of the hood:
- Air ducts. Can be with a rectangular and rounded section. It is advisable to choose the first type of section. Rectangular air ducts are perfectly mounted under the ceiling and do not occupy a lot of usable space.
- Fan. It is sometimes built into the air duct or made as an invoice element in the form of a decor. A fan mounted in an air duct is suitable for complex, extensive ventilation systems, for example, for those cases where the toilet and bathroom are separate. Laid on fan is best suited for one room.
- Elements that provide different mounting options for ductwork. You can choose ready-made brackets for fixing ducts or make a mount with your own hands.
- Couplings - needed for fixing parts of air ducts.
- Swivel knees. Required for pipes of rectangular cross section.
- Check valve Does not allow the return air outlet from the ventilation shaft or from the street.
All these elements are required for high-quality installation of the exhaust fan in the toilet or bathroom.
Installation of exhaust fan
During installation of the fan in the toilet and bathroom does not require the presence of auxiliary ducts. Completely missing standard mine ventilation, where and mounted exhaust radiator. This is the best option when the ventilation is located behind the wall of the combined bathroom. If the bathroom and the toilet are already separate, then you need to put ventilation grates on both sides of the shaft. The exhaust fan is considered the easiest to install and install the device.
To find out the essence of the installation of exhaust ventilation, it is necessary to draw a diagram for operation. Here you need to include a central air duct, where channels for air intake from the rest of the premises are connected with the help of tees. This scheme is no different from the installation schemes of any other communication systems.
The next step is to install mounting directly fan. It is installed in the ventilation shaft. You can also position the fan and near the hole on the street or ventilation vent. In order for air from the street or from centralized ventilation not to enter the fan, it is necessary to fix the valve at the inlet.
Next is the installation of the duct. To do this, you need to fasten the elements of the pipe and structure with a sealant. In this case, silicone is perfect. First you need to work with the main channel, where you need to fix all the tees. When the main channel is collected, you need to go to the side tees, you must also put the side valves on them. This is required so that the air from one room does not move to another. Air ducts should be carried out before the air intakes. If you make a false ceiling in the bathroom, the air intakes can be put after its fixture. That's all! Installation of the exhaust fan can be considered complete.
During installation of the exhaust fan is necessary take into account several nuances:
- Most often, the exhaust fan is mounted during repairs in the toilet or bathroom. Perform this is necessary before installing the suspended ceiling. You also need to check up to this time the quality of the ventilation system. Otherwise, problems with dismantling the already wired ceiling cannot be avoided.
- The air intake hole in the ventilation shaft or directly on the street must be carefully sealed with construction foam. If you do not perform a good seal, then you will not be able to get away from drafts.
The bathroom is one of the most humid places in a private house or apartment. Of course, you already know the answer to the question “How to choose an exhaust fan for a toilet and a bathroom?” Let's say again that compact rooms are used for wet rooms, but at the same time powerful devices hoods in the splash guard, the design of which does not allow moisture to enter the duct of the duct, reducing the risk of electrical circuit to zero. In general, we have considered all the points of selection of exhaust fans.